marchingjo

Marching Jo

Hi! I'm Jo, a college student reading my way through various books. I particularly enjoy YA, fantasy, and horror, but I'm also beginning to delve into sci-fi, paranormal, and other genres.

Travels with Charley: In Search of America
John Steinbeck
London: The Biography
Peter Ackroyd
Leviathan
Scott Westerfeld, Keith Thompson
The Ring of Solomon
Jonathan Stroud
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee Angelfall by Susan Ee, is another fabulous read. Angel Gabriel has landed on Earth and announced that yes, it's official, the apocalypse is on. Penryn, her little sister and mentally unstable mother are on the run to safety when they are accidentally caught up in a fight between angels, where Penryn's sister is captured and taken away. Desperate to get her back, Penryn makes a reluctant alliance with Raffe, an angel with his own agenda. Together, they journey across post-apocalyptic America in order to get back their most precious things.

Initially apprehensive, I approached this book with a certain amount of scepticism. And was delighted to find out how wrong I was. Penryn is a great example of a strong female character, who doesn't need to rely on anyone but herself. When her sister is taken, she doesn't break down in tears, or ask the angel to solve all her problems; she takes matters into her own hands. On the other side, Raffe is great as a non-human character. Too many times have I heard, "BUT I'M NOT HUMAN" only for the character to act in a completely human way. And then there's the plot itself, which is both gripping and surprising. This is a particularly underrated book, but it's going for really cheap on the Amazon Kindle (its only format). Go and buy it now! You won't regret it.